1) Parents and Students: Go to Federal Student Aid. website and create TWO FSA IDs (one for the parent and a separate one, using a different email, for the student.) Make sure to write down the username and password you create as you will need these to fill out the FAFSA.
Please note: students are not allowed to use grandparents, siblings, family friends, etc. on their FAFSA even if they live with them, unless those individuals have legally adopted them (custody is not the same as adoption).
2) Follow all the instructions to create the FSA ID. You will need to verify your email address so please use one that you have access to.
3) Once you've created your FSA IDs correctly, go to FAFSA website. The FAFSA isFREE to fill out. Make sure you do not go to a site that charges a fee.
4) Click on "Start a New FAFSA"
5) Click on "Enter your (the student's) FSA ID" and log-in using the FSA ID username and password you just created. Parent's, keep your FSA ID and password handy as you will need to enter it on the application later.
6) Click on the current school year and begin answering all of the questions.